Sunday, November 16, 2014

Rump Roast



This is the roast I made off of my menu madness. I actually had it on my menu to make Sunday but I thawed it yesterday because I was out of freezer space. I guess I shouldn't consider that be a bad thing. 

I used some of Tip Top Recipes for pot roast which is what was on my menu. But my family is not very fond of rosemary so I left it out. 

I don't have a dutch oven and my husband believes I have enough kitchen items (not sure what world HE lives in. You can never have enough!) So I used my roaster. I was going to use my slow cooker but I took to long to get started. My family would NOT be happy with me eating around 8 o'clock tonight.

Preheat your oven to 250. I usually forget to do this. 

First I made my beef stock, using Knorr Homestyle Stock. I added two of the cups to about a cup of water and turned up the heat. 


Not realizing it, I was out of olive oil, so I used vegetable oil. Still did the same thing, just not the flavor. 

People always say to mix your seasonings in a small bowl then place them on top of your meat. I guess they have people who wash their dishes, so to me, that's just extra. I always do it when the meat is in the pan. 


Add your oil to your pan and let it get warm. Then add your meat. I seared one side of the meat, seasoned the upside, then flipped it and added more seasoning. Then held the meat with my tongs to get the sides. This only takes a minute or two. Once that is done I put it in my roaster.



Then in the same skillet I add my red potatoes and carrots. I let them sear for a minute then added them to the roaster.

Now for the skillet with all the yummy flavors still in it. I took about 1 tablespoon of corn starch and added it to the skillet. I actually used a little more but I fixed it later. Whisked it for a second to get all the flavors moved around and took the now boiling beef stock and added it to the skillet. I didn't pour the whole thing in, just a little at a time, whisking the whole time.


Once my corn starch had incorporated with everything I took the awesome brown gravy and poured it over my meat and veggies. Some of the corn starch was being difficult so I poured it threw my grease strainer to keep the juice without the clumps. 

Place it in the oven with the lid on and let it cook for about 3 hours. It's almost a 3lb roast. You cook your roast about an hour per pound. That's the best way to remember. 

Once it's done, pull it out and let the meat sit for a few minutes. You can pull it apart or cut in pieces.

How yummy does that look?


I cooked some egg noodles and mashed potatoes to go with it. My little ones are picky eaters so I thought this would help fill them up. Not in the mood to hear "I'm hungry" at 9:30 tonight when I sweated over this home cooked meal. ;) Sshhhh...They won't know how easy it really was unless someone tells them... and I'm not gonna. 


List of Ingredients

Ziplist
  • 1 rump roast (mine was 2.5 pounds)
  • Olive oil
  • 1 pound Baby carrots
  • 1 pound red potatoes whole
  • 2 Knorr Home style Beef Stock
  • 1 tablespoons corn starch
SEASONING MIX -
  • 2 tablespoons steak seasoning (mine has a blend of peppercorns, garlic, paprika, parsley and salt)
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!